Helping Injury Victims Seek Justice
The term personal injury is one of the most comprehensive legal terms in American jurisdiction: It encompasses injuries to the body, mind or emotions. Most personal injuries occur due to negligence, namely a person or an entity not acting responsibly and putting others at risk.
If you sustained an injury resulting from another’s careless or negligent actions, Silver & Kelmachter, can help you take legal action against the party responsible. With more than 30 years of experience advocating for injury victims, our attorneys have the knowledge and skills needed to help you obtain justice and maximize your results.
Advocacy For A Broad Range Of Injuries
We have experience handling a wide range of injury claims, including those related to:
- Vehicle and pedestrian injuries: Drivers, passengers and pedestrians alike suffer serious injuries when struck by another vehicle. These claims can involve various modes of public and mass transportation, commercial vehicle accidents and uninsured or underinsured drivers.
- Slip-and-fall injuries: Thousands of people are injured every year when they slip and fall on a wet floor, broken stairs and uneven surfaces, or due to drainage grates or at gyms, theme parks and resorts or workplaces. Property owners or employers could be held responsible for these injuries.
- Nursing home abuse and neglect: Far too many of our most vulnerable members of society are taken advantage of by poor quality care at nursing homes. It is possible to stand up for them when they’ve been harmed.
- Consumer product safety: Poorly designed, improperly manufactured or mislabeled products can malfunction and cause severe harm. Injuries related to consumer product safety include injuries from hazardous tools or equipment and from toxic substances, like asbestos or food poisoning.
- Environmental health and safety: These claims include any injury that is a result of a person or an entity breaching environmental liability. An injury may stem from health damage caused by fracking; unreasonable use of pesticides, herbicides and insecticides; outdoor air pollution and indoor air quality; or water contamination.
Damages Awarded In Personal Injury Claims
In New York, you can receive financial compensation even if you were partially to blame for the accident, thanks to so-called pure comparative negligence. For instance, if you were 20 percent at fault for a car accident, you may still be entitled to receive 80 percent of the compensation.
The two main ways of settling a personal injury case are through a formal lawsuit or an informal settlement. No matter which option you pursue, you can seek compensation for:
- Medical bills and prescription drug costs
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering caused by the injury
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of consortium
- Trip and Fall